Thursday, January 8, 2009

Flooding in Snohomish

For those that live out of town and don't know, we have recently received quite the snowfall, melt, rain and now major flooding. Darin and I went to look at the Snohomish river that is very near where we live. The sights were amazing, tragic and really just awe inspiring. I will try and give a little perspective to what you are looking at.

This picture is not the river but a commonly used roadway near the river. To the right is a farm and to the left are houses and soccer fields. Also notice the train on the tracks, that is usually a good 8-10 feet above the road.
Behind these houses are the soccer fields. Remember, this is not the river...

This is the river I would say at least a good 20 feet higher than normal. Notice the picnic table and trash can at the bottom of the picture. These are placed up on a cliff above the river, now flush with the river.


Again, the river is flush to the hillside when normally it's many feet below a walking trail which is also below street level. The tree you see is positioned on the top of a hill above the riverbed. Unbelievable.


1 comment:

Matthews said...

WOW. I had no idea there was flooding! I'm so out of the news loop. Stay safe and dry!!!!!